[Buildroot] package/linux/Makefile.in does not include 'openswan' patches

Bernhard Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 16:56:14 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 05:25:33PM +0200, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
> [...]

I did not mean to imply that it is a fix. I only use the kernel headers
from the kernel i'm using since i see absolutely no benefit (or any
reason) to use something else, personally.

>If they are not, the bug is still there, so it is NOT because of the BSP stuff,
>and you fixed the symptom, not the cause.

I'm not mixing headers and source from different versions but use just
one version for both. This serves my purposes very well.
I don't use nor actively support mixed headers, fwiw. If somebody
expresses a need for such a setup and provides a clean, tested patch
that does not break the common case to use both headers and kernel from
the same source, then fine with me.

>Try setting LINUX26_VERSION to 2.6.22.1 and build with openswan,
>and you see what I mean.
>
>>>While i understand that it's possible that one thing or another can
>>>break in the course of changes, i ask you to be more careful.
>>
>> I suggest you
>> ifneq ($(PROJECT_BUILD_DIR),)
>> fixup_after_ulf=O=$(PROJECT_BUILD_DIR)
>> endif
>> LINUX26_MAKE_FLAGS+=$(fixup_after_ulf)
>>
>> but you were about to do the same anyway, weren't you..
>>

>No, I want to have two ways of building linux,
>until the BSP stuff is fully tested, and then merge into one.
>Not fill the single linux makefile with a lot of kludges
>which has no long term validity.

The target/linux/Makefile.in is currently 115 lines (without comments
and whitespace). It provides quite generic rules to unpack, configure
and build a kernel.
What kludges are you referring to specifically?

Using a single source-tree and installing (e.g. via O=) into the
obj-tree is a nice thing, not mandatory though.