[Buildroot] svn commit: trunk/buildroot:packagetarget/device/Atmel

Ulf Samuelsson ulf at atmel.com
Thu Jul 26 06:03:36 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hans-Christian Egtvedt" <hcegtvedt at atmel.com>
To: "Ulf Samuelsson" <ulf at atmel.com>
Cc: "Steven J. Hill" <sjhill at realitydiluted.com>; <buildroot at uclibc.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:49 AM
Subject: Re: [Buildroot] svn commit: trunk/buildroot:packagetarget/device/Atmel

> On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 00:49 +0200, Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
>> > ulf at uclibc.org wrote:
>
> <cut adding ATMEL_MIRROR and revert>
>
>> While it is used for target/device/Atmel files, it is also needed
>> to download binutils/gcc/gdb tarballs for AVR32 architecture support.
>> If it is defined in target/device/Atmel, then it is not defined during
>> the toolchain build. causing this to fail.
>>
>> The alternative is to submit a 7-10 MB patch+ for the buildroot tree
>> with all the AVR32 architecture patches, which I thought was a bad idea.
>
> I hope to get these patches smaller, many of them contain 90% hacking on
> the automake system.
>
> Right now they are roughly 8 MB for all the tools (gcc, binutils, gdb,
> strace, uClibc and kernel). But this is in plain text, and they compress
> well.
>
> <cut location discussion>
>
> --
> With kind regards,
>
> Hans-Christian Egtvedt, siv.ing. (M.Sc.)
> Applications Engineer - AVR32 System Solutions - Atmel Norway

I think that until the AVR32 support is fully integrated in the GCC, it is probably
just as well, downloading prepatched source instead of running autotool,
unless you can make sure that *any* version of autotools will work.

We can't expect a user to have a certain version of autotool, unless we
download and build it as part of buildroot.

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson