[Buildroot] svn commit: trunk/buildroot

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Tue Jul 8 05:39:52 UTC 2008

Hi,

 Ulf> So you think that the situation we have now, when libgtk2 will
 Ulf> not compile when gnome is installed in "/opt/gnome2 on the host  is a
 Ulf> good one?
 >>
 >> No, not particular good, but better than the other way around as /usr
 >> is standard, /opt/gnome2 isn't.
 >>

 Ulf> You can't be serious...

Ofcause I can.

 Ulf> Why is it better to have a broken gnome build
 Ulf> than installing gnome in /opt/gnome?

 Ulf> Anyone with gnome installed in "/usr" will of course
 Ulf> use "/usr" on the target as well.

Ahh, you mean to have buildroot install to a different location if the
host gnome stuff isn't in /usr? That seems like a can of worms to me -
Buildroot is hard enough to test as it is without adding more
varability to it.

 Ulf> You can of course install symlinks from /usr/bin to
 Ulf> /opt/gnome/bin, but use of "sudo" in buildroot
 Ulf> has been frowned on before.

I definately wouldn't want to do it in buildroot. What we could do is
to extend dependencies.sh to complain to the user to fix it up
themselves if needed.

 >> How does openembedded handle it?
 >>

 Ulf> Did not check.

I think they only support distributions with gnome in /usr.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard