[Buildroot] illegal instruction on AT91

Chris Sharman chris at powercomgroup.com
Thu Jul 17 08:03:09 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 08:43 +1000, Chris Sharman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been using an older svn of buildroot for around 6 months with
> an
> AT91SAM9260 based custom board.
>
> I am now trying to bring everything up to the latest svn.
>
> I can build a rootfs and kernel no problem, everything boots fine.
> Then
> some apps throw an Illegal Instruction and crash. Namely curl and
> sometimes sqlite.
>
> I have NWFPE enabled in the kernel. I've tried rebuilding everything
> (by
> doing rm *build* in buildroot). I've tried selecting generic_arm
> instead
> of arm926t, I've tried using gcc 4.1.2 which is the same version as I
> used on my old buildroot revision and also gcc 4.2.4. I tried booting
> an
> older kernel (from a working system) and I got the same results every
> time. I'm using kernel 2.6.25 with at91 patches.
>
> I tried comparing the uclibc config from my old buildroot (using
> 0.9.29
> in both) there were only two differences, SUSV3 macros and USE_BX. I
> enabled these the same as my old buildroot and I still get the illegal
> instruction with curl.
>
> does anyone have any suggestions?
>

> Regards
> Chris

I have now tried checking out a clean tree from svn and building the
at91sam9260pf_defconfig after disabling most packages and adding curl.

I hacked the machine type so the kernel would boot, my board is based
off the at91sam9260ek. It does the same thing, boots perfect. Illegal
instruction with curl.

Does anyone have a know working buildroot configuration for a
AT91SAM9260 processor.

I will get out the actual AT91SAM9260EK dev board tomorrow and see if
the same thing happens.

I copied the curl binaries from my old known working buildroot into my
new buildroot rootfs. These binaries function fine.

Does this mean something is wrong with gcc?