[Buildroot] Buildroot and Linux/ARM on AT91SAM9260

Ryan Ordway rordway at oregonstate.edu
Mon Dec 17 19:38:39 UTC 2007

On Dec 17, 2007, at 8:14 AM, Ivan Kuten wrote:

> Ryan Ordway wrote:
>> I've been using Buildroot with a board based on the AT91SAM9260. I
>> was
>> able to get a successful kernel build (2.6.21.6) and buildroot build
>> (buildroot-atmel-20070521) using gcc 4.0.4, binutils 2.17 and uClibc
>> 0.9.28.3. I've been trying to get an updated build from various
>> different versions of buildroot from buildrooot-atmel-20070607,
>> buildroot-trunk, etc. and while things build fine with some tweaking
>> none of the toolchain combinations seem to generate working binaries.
>> I've tried using EABI vs. OABI, softfloat for gcc, NWFPE vs. FastFPE,
>> etc. The only combination that I can get to work reliably are gcc
>> 4.0.4, binutils 2.17 and uClibc 0.9.28.3 with my 2.6.21.6 kernel with
>> AT91 patches for 2.6.21 applied.
>>
>> Is there a magic compiler, binutils and uClibc trinity for Linux/ARM
>> in particular?
>>

> /sbin/init: can't Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
> load library 'libgcc_s.so.1'
>
> I checked that there is no libgcc_s.so.1 in rootfs image but I have
> BR2_GCC_SHARED_LIBGCC=y
> May be that is a cause why you not getting working rootfs.

I'm not using a shared libgcc. It's just freezing after the freeing of
the initrd memory about the time it should be booting up init. I guess
my next step is to start throwing in some printk's to see exactly
where it's dying.

Of course, I can't get a 2.6.23 kernel to even boot at all, but that
may be the same toolchain issues. My 2.6.21.6 kernel seems to be
working ok -- that was built with my gcc 4.0.4 based toolchain, the
only version I've been able to get successful boots from.

Ryan

Ryan Ordway                           E-mail: rordway at oregonstate.edu
Unix Systems Administrator               rordway at library.oregonstate.edu
OSU Libraries, Corvallis, OR 97331    Office: Valley Library #4657