[Buildroot] Buildroot with a custom kernel

Bussmann, Paul Paul.Bussmann at technidata.com
Tue Sep 23 17:57:05 UTC 2008

> 2) tarball up your custom kernel and place it in the dl dir.  Make
> sure you name is according to what you have in your buildroot config
> for the kernel version.  BR will then assume you've already dl'ed the
> kernel and use your version.

I already tried this with 2.6.17 on ARM. Resulting in everything _looked_ fine at first but my board instantly rebooted when I tried to use TCP stuff. It is indeed related to BR's toolchain, because if I use the manufacture's (Ka-Ro) toolchain to compile the kernel, it works.
So I asked on this mailing list about getting a 2.6.17-supporting Buildroot environment (2008-08-25) with the following answer (2008-08-26):

> 2.6.17 was released around Jun 18  2006. I'd ask those people for a
> vaguely recent kernel.

So I'd be very interested if you have similar success.

See http://www.nabble.com/Linux-Kernel-2.6.17-support-in-Buildroot-tt19139626.html#a19139626

Best regards,
Paul