[Buildroot] What's up with the kernel names? (Again)

Ulf Samuelsson ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com
Thu Feb 5 20:23:52 UTC 2009

ons 2009-02-04 klockan 13:29 +0100 skrev Peter Korsgaard:

>  Thiago> Hi,
>  Thiago>     I thought it was seattled sometime last year that kernel names
>  Thiago> would not include timestamps or any think that breaks u-boot from
>  Thiago> loading the kernel.
>
>  Thiago>     I just had atngw100-linux-2.6.27.13-20090203.gz for a kernel name.
>  Thiago> It's already bad enough that rootfs has stupid timestamps, we don't
>  Thiago> really need kernel binaries too. If I wanted to preserve binaries, I
>  Thiago> would copy them over before building again. Whenever I type make, I
>  Thiago> expect things to be overwritten.
>
> The rootfs timestamp is because your defconfig sets the
> BR2_ROOTFS_SUFFIX to a nonstandard value.
>
> I had a look at target/linux/Makefile.in.advanced and see that it
> uses:
>
> LINUX26_KERNEL:=$(BINARIES_DIR)/$(BOARD_NAME)-linux-$(LINUX26_VERSION)-$(DATE)$(KERNEL_EXT)
>
> whereas the normal (!advanced) Linux config uses:
>
> LINUX26_KERNEL:=$(BINARIES_DIR)/linux-kernel-$(LINUX26_VERSION)-$(KERNEL_ARCH)
>
> To me the sane thing would just be for the files to be named whatever
> the kernel names them (uImage/zImage/bzImage/..), but even if we don't
> do that we should atleast make the 2 Linux types use the same style.

> We can add BR2_KERNEL_PREFIX/SUFFIX (defaulting to "") if people
> really to do something special.
>
> Ulf, what do you say?

I think that we should have a symbolic link to xImage as we do for
u-boot.bin for those that do not like the more complex filenames.
Then there is no need for a

The purpose of having a more complex file name is to
be able to see which kernel you have and it configuration.
Also to be able to copy multiple kernels for multiple chips to a single
directory - Typically /tftpboot.

uImage really does not give you *any* information on the contents.

When testing several configurations for the same kernel,
adding some kind of revision information is important.
THat is why the date is there, a little simplistic, but
it works for me.