[Buildroot] Write Access to buildroot?

Ulf Samuelsson ulf.samuelsson at atmel.com
Mon Jul 27 06:40:13 UTC 2009

> For what it's worth, we have a shared git tree on linux-xtensa.org
> for Xtensa arch development of buildroot (we've had it there for
> many months before the buildroot project itself switched over to git).

> We had to be careful with file ownership/protection (and maybe umask)
> to make sure it works smoothly, but once setup, it works quite well.
> Everybody has their own userid, no shared user or anything.

Thanks, it is the model used by Openembedded as well.

I do not specifically need a shared user,
I just want the http://git.uclibc.org/ to report

~common/<myproject>

instead of

~/ulf/git/common/<myproject>.

since the former better illustrates how I'd like to work.

It seems easier to just create a new user though.

> We always use the git+ssh://... method to access the tree if we want
> to be able to write to it, else anyone can access it read-only using
> the usual git://... method -- if you're curious, see:

>    http://wiki.linux-xtensa.org/index.php/Repository_Access

> One also has to be careful to only push things to this tree.
> No playing directly with the tree (such as rebase or otherwise
> pointing HEAD backwards in time and possibly committing new changes
> from there) which plays havoc with others' clones of the tree.
> As long as it's only accessed remotely, this is pretty easy.

> In case you notice it out of sync... we've only merged this tree with
> the official buildroot tree once in a long while -- were waiting for
> the Xtensa arch port to get submitted (which it just has, yeah! :-) and
> to setup things to make it easier to catch merges that break things.

> -Marc

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson                ulf at atmel.com
Atmel Nordic AB
Mail:  Box 2033, 174 02 Sundbyberg, Sweden
Visit:  Kavallerivägen 24, 174 58 Sundbyberg, Sweden
Phone +46 (8) 441 54 22     Fax +46 (8) 441 54 29
GSM    +46 (706) 22 44 57