[Buildroot] Updated status on the compilation of busybox on Mac OS X

Nicholas Kinar n.kinar at usask.ca
Sun Nov 29 14:47:01 UTC 2009

> I haven't heard about anyone doing it, and as you see, the posting about
> it is almost 3 years old.
>
> Why would you want to do it in the first place? Doing Linux development
> on !Linux systems is imho a recipe for pain.

Hi Peter--

Thank you so much for your response!  I agree that Linux systems are
much, much better than generic Unix, and I actually run buildroot for
the AVR32 architecture on a very nice Ubuntu box. (No virtualization
required.)  However, there are a few programs that I would also like to
use on Mac OS X, and imho it would be nice to do everything on the same
operating system.  I also have some hardware which is unfortunately not
supported on Linux.

I have tried to compile buildroot on Mac OS X.  Using some packages from
the Fink project (i.e. binutils), I can coax buildroot to partially
compile.  However, the compilation seems to crash when it encounters uclibc.

I know that the Gumstix folks seem to keep a separate build for Mac OS X:

http://docwiki.gumstix.org/index.php/Buildroot_on_MacOSX

To me, it seemed a bit of a shame to keep a separate build, and it would
be nice to perhaps merge this into the main distribution, at least imho
to allow for buildroot to compile on all Linux and Unix systems.  I
suppose that my desire to do compilation on a Unix system is more for
philosophical rather than for practical reasons.

Nicholas