[Buildroot] Still can't build working rootfswith crosstool-NGtoolchain

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Wed Apr 21 18:43:59 UTC 2010

Hi,

 >> At one stage the whole cycle took ~ 1 hour 15 mins. Common sense had
 >> to prevail I guess - it's just a lot faster than chasing ghosts - it
 >> seems that your experience matches the observations I made.

 Grant> If it's taking that long, I suspect you're also building a
 Grant> toolchain and kernel everytime.  When I realized that partial
 Grant> rebuilds weren't practical, I switched to using an external
 Grant> toolchain.  With an external toolchain and an external download
 Grant> directory, doing a from-scratch basic rootfs build takes about
 Grant> 6-7 minutes on a single CPU, 2GHz AMD Athlon64.

FYI, I do full builds (internal toolchain including C++, a number of
packages including Qt, U-Boot and Linux kernel) in about 25 mins on a
2.8GHz i7 (buildbot server)

 Grant> Once you've got a kernel configuration figured out and set in stone,
 Grant> it could be useful to have the kernel built by buildroot, but it
 Grant> doesn't seem to be a paractical way to do kernel development.

Agreed. Doing these things with BR is mainly interesting as a
structured integration tool when the basics are stable - E.G. to ensure
you have everything under configuration control and can reproduce the
build.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard