[Buildroot] Issue for the integration of Codesourcery external toolchains

Lionel Landwerlin llandwerlin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 23:23:35 UTC 2010

Le lundi 04 janvier 2010 à 16:24 +0100, Thomas Petazzoni a écrit :
> [...]
> the gcc command line.
>
> Each variant is associated with a different sysroot:
>
> $ arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc -print-sysroot
> /usr/local/xtools/arm-2009q1/bin/../arm-none-linux-gnueabi/libc
>
> $ arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc -print-sysroot -march=armv4t
> /usr/local/xtools/arm-2009q1/bin/../arm-none-linux-gnueabi/libc/armv4t
>
> $ arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc -print-sysroot -march=armv7 -mthumb
> /usr/local/xtools/arm-2009q1/bin/../arm-none-linux-gnueabi/libc/thumb2
>
> (Note: /usr/local/xtools/arm-2009q1/ is where I installed the
> toolchain)
>
> Issue with the Codesourcery toolchain
> =====================================
>
> The first obvious option that I tried was to copy the sysroot that
> correspond to the selected architecture. For example, copy only the
> contents of
> /usr/local/xtools/arm-2009q1/bin/../arm-none-linux-gnueabi/libc/armv4t
> to $(STAGING_DIR). Unfortunately, this doesn't work, since the header
> files are shared between the three sysroots (the armv4t and thumb2
> directories do not contain any header files).
>
> So there is no other choice that copying the full
> /usr/local/xtools/arm-2009q1/bin/../arm-none-linux-gnueabi/libc
> directory. This is the solution I implemented.
>
> Unfortunately, when you do this, you have the following hierarchy in
> $(STAGING_DIR):
>
>  * armv4t
>    * lib
>    * usr
>      * lib
>  * lib
>  * thumb2
>    * lib
>    * usr
>      * lib
>  * usr
>    * include
>    * lib
>
> When the armv5t architecture is selected, everything works as
> expected: the includes are in $(STAGING_DIR)/usr/include, the
> libraries in $(STAGING_DIR)/lib and $(STAGING_DIR)/usr/lib.
>
> When armv4t is selected, the include files are in
> $(STAGING_DIR)/usr/include, but the libraries are in
> $(STAGING_DIR)/armv4t/lib and $(STAGING_DIR)/armv4t/usr/lib. And the
> linker *only* looks in these directories for the libraries.
>
> Unfortunately, all Buildroot packages install their libraries in
> $(STAGING_DIR)/lib and $(STAGING_DIR)/usr/lib, so the linker doesn't
> find them.
>
> For example, compiling zlib works, but compiling libpng fails because
> it cannot find zlib. This is because zlib has been installed in
> $(STAGING_DIR)/usr/lib and not in $(STAGING_DIR)/armv4t/usr/lib.
>
> Possible solutions
> ==================
>
>  * Build a more normal sysroot in $(STAGING_DIR) by combining the
>    contents of armv4t and the header files. But this would require
>    telling gcc that the libraries aren't in armv4t anymore. This is
>    probably possible using a custom spec file, but is quite

To me, probably the best solution...
But why would it require a custom spec file ? --sysroot doesn't change
the headers and librairies' default path in that case ?

>  * Reconsider the solution of copying the sysroot, and try harder with
>    the more traditionnal -L/-I solutions.
Ergh...
For more we would need a different treatment for codesourcery toolchains
and "normal" toolchains. Sounds a bit like a nightmare... (Am I wrong ?)

>  * Another solution ?
>
> Thanks for reading such a long mail, and thanks in advance for your
> ideas!

I never worked with codesourcery's toolchains (as not working with ARM
chips).
Is the set of toolchain you're using available somewhere ?

> Thomas Petazzoni

<Not_so_related>

By the way, we still have some problem with the current scripts setting
up the staging/target directories. Maybe I'm the only one who
noticed/has_a_strange_setup...

Just like every other linker script :

	$(STAGING_DIR)/usr/lib/libpthread.so
	$(STAGING_DIR)/usr/lib/libc.so

might be processed to replace the default path, usually /lib/libc.so, by
$(STAGING_DIR)/lib/libc.so.
We also need to copy thoses linker scripts to the target directory.
Otherwise you generate some kind of fucked up binaries when installing
librairies in target using libtool. In particular with the pthread_*
symbols, because some of them are defined in libc.so as weak symbols. So
you end up having librairies calling libc's weak symbols which volontary
crash because they might be replaced by the pthread's ones when
pthread.so is loaded.

I didn't noticed the problem with basic monothreaded tools (busybox,
bash, etc...), until I compile things like directfb which crashes
incomprehensibly early at startup.

Fixing this kind of problem is on my todo list, but I don't have a lot
of free time these days to make a clean fix. I wanted to let people
know, so they don't spend 2/3 days finding that kind of vicious bugs
(whether we can consider that as a bug) ...

</Not_so_related>

--
Lionel Landwerlin