[Buildroot] Issue for the integration of Codesourcery external toolchains

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Jan 12 23:39:16 UTC 2010

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 23:09:41 +0100
"Yann E. MORIN" <yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr> wrote:

> 1) do not copy the sysroot to staging, trust gcc to find it properly
> 2) add a kind of wrapper to gcc (et al.) that basically does the
> following:
>
> ---8<---
> #!/bin/sh
> exec real-gcc -L "${STAGING_DIR}"{,/usr}/lib    \
>                   -I "${STAGING_DIR}"/usr/include   \
>                   "$@"
> ---8<---
>
> That way, we always have out staging/lib and staging/usr/lib in the
> library search path; ditto for the include search path.

This is the approach we tried first to support external toolchains,
before switching to the current solution using --sysroot.

If you look at my original mail in this thread, the second solution I
was proposing is:

 * Reconsider the solution of copying the sysroot, and try harder with
   the more traditionnal -L/-I solutions.

As it says, we had some difficulties with the -L/-I solutions that
couldn't be solved easily, and --sysroot was easier. But we can decide
to go backward and try to fix the problems encountered with the -L/-I
solution. Even with -L/-I, gcc was sometimes not finding libraries, and
we had to start using things such as --rpath-link, which proved to be
very complicated. I don't remember the exact packages and cases that
were causing problems.

Regards,

Thomas
--