[Buildroot] init: I won't write compressed data to a terminal.

Mitch Davis mjd+buildroot at afork.com
Wed Jul 7 00:35:58 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 8:16 AM, Ossy <ossy1980 at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi buildroot mailinglist,

Hey Ossy!

> After successfully compiling a whole rootfs and mounting it via loop on some
> nfs export I started my arm ebedded device and ran into tho following error
> after booting the image via tftp.
>
> "init: I won't write compressed data to a terminal."
>
> The bootargs include a console=ttyS0,115200 and rootfs over nfs options.
> I guess there is is an issue with the built in zip/bzip compression.
> But why is the init process not able to output to the terminal?

I would suspect that it's not init as-such, but rather there is a
startup script that is not working properly.

What happens if you also include "init=/bin/sh" on your kernel boot
line, then boot?
What happens if you rename /etc/inittab to have a different name (so
init won't find /etc/inittab) then boot?

Mitch.