[Buildroot] tic compile stops (resolved)

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin+buildroot at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 19:48:32 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Yann E. MORIN
<yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr> wrote:
> Michael, All,
>
> On Monday 25 April 2011 21:24:00 Michael J. Hammel wrote:
>> On Mon, 2011-04-25 at 11:16 -0600, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
>> > FYI: Found something that is probably related but I need to investigate
>> > more.  The version of ncurses with 2010.11 is 5.7.
>> > This comes from
>> > http://invisible-island.net/ncurses/ncurses.faq.html#cross_compiles
>>
>> Okay, even simpler than patching Buildroot - I just had to install a
>> newer version of ncurses to the host platform.  CentOS 5.4 has ncurses
>> 5.5.  I downloaded and installed 5.7 from source and that fixed the
>> buildroot build.
>>
>> Just following up in case someone else runs into this issue.
>
> What I do in crosstool-NG is that I first natively build the 'tic' program
> and use that later when cross-building ncurses.
> Native build of tic: see lines 159 to 190:
> http://crosstool-ng.org/hg/crosstool-ng/file/tip/scripts/build/debug/300-gdb.sh#l159
>
> So, to be fool-proff in all cases, buildroot should build its own native
> tic program first.

Actually, a while back I submitted a patch that does just that,
unfortunately without response.

http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2011-March/042225.html
http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2011-March/042224.html
http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2011-March/042226.html

Maybe this extra bug report could be a trigger for inclusion of the patches?

Thanks,
Thomas