[Buildroot] [RFC] Python packages

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Dec 14 07:46:39 UTC 2011

Hello,

Le Wed, 14 Dec 2011 08:41:41 +0100,
Yegor Yefremov <yegor_sub1 at visionsystems.de> a écrit :

> I just wanted to add some network related python packages (dpkt and
> netifaces) to buildroot. At the moment we have only pyserial as
> external python component,

And python-mad, in package/multimedia/

> residing in packages/python-serial. Should I pack these packages just
> under Libraries->Networking or should I create special folder
> packages/python-addons and put those packages there?

Your question is strange because you're comparing a location in
menuconfig ("Libraries->Networking") and a location in the source tree
("packages/python-addons") while the two are not related.

From a source tree location perspective, Peter's wish is to keep
everything directly under package/ as much as possible. So we would
have there python/, python-serial/, python-something/,
python-somethingelse/ and so forth. But I think they should all start
with the python- prefix. This wasn't done with Lua extensions and I am
personally not happy with this.

Now, for the location in menuconfig, I must say I don't know. Should we
sort them by Language (Python extensions, Lua extensions) or by usage
type (Network, Multimedia, etc.). So far, the extensions are listed "by
usage", along with all other libraries for the same type of usage.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons