[Buildroot] package management

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Sat May 14 17:35:19 UTC 2011

On 2011-05-14, Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2011 13:49:07 +0000 (UTC)
> Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Soon, quite certainly not. Someday, maybe. But there's a lot of
>> > work to be done at the package infrastructure level to make this
>> > possible. It is not as simple as one might initially think to add
>> > this kind of features.
>>
>> I'm curious about this.  I'm using ipkg and it works fine.  Opkg seems
>> to be based on (and very similar to) ipkg.  What is different about
>> opkg that makes it difficult?
>
> Maybe I misunderstood Xianghua initial request.

Or perhaps I did.

> I thought he was asking for Buildroot to generate ipkg/opkg packages,
> which Buildroot isn't capable of doing at the moment.

Ah, he probably was.

> If he is asking about having the opkg/ipkg-utils installed in a
> Buildroot system, then obviously it's fairly easy.

That's what I'm doing with ipkg.  I have ipkg utilties enabled in my
buildroot system.  My "user" applications are built outside of
buildroot and packaged using ipkg.  Then I install them on the
buildroot target using ipkg.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Now that I have my
                                  at               "APPLE", I comprehend COST