[Buildroot] Suggestion: increase username buffer size in busybox login

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Fri Aug 17 12:30:17 UTC 2012

Le Tue, 14 Aug 2012 23:18:16 -0400,
Dmitry Golubovsky <golubovsky at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Well, the busybox developers stick with the original Unix spec
> limiting username length at 32 chars:
>
> http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2012-August/078256.html
>
> So I am repeating my question: is anybody among Buildroot users also
> interested in such patching of busybox: in case longer usernames (like
> firstname.lastname at host.example.org) are desired, increase the
> username buffer in login.c to 256 characters?

This should not be implemented in Buildroot, as we don't want to keep
such "feature" patches on our packages. Make a patch to Busybox that
turns this into a configurable value, so that by default the length of
32 characters is used, but a Busybox configuration option allows to
extend that. Then, Buildroot users interested by this feature can
create a custom Busybox configuration.

Thanks!

Thomas
--