[Buildroot] Systemd update

Dmitry Golubovsky golubovsky at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 17:27:31 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Diego Iastrubni <diegoiast at gmail.com> wrote:
> How does it compare with a similar setup, using "normal" logins and
> busybox's init?

It may be a bit more complicated than "traditional" sequential setup,
but infinitely more flexible. I needed such a parallel dependency
driven init program and thought of porting Android's setup, but
systemd is the same but on big steroids.

> How much time does it take to boot under both setups?

I do not remember how much it took under traditional setup. I get 24
sec by kernel timestamp until the moment I can login, but this also
involves setting up DHCP (since my setting is diskless) on a KVM
running on a 2 GHz AMD64. Plus it takes some time to unpack the initrd
image (mune is about 40M) So I'd discount 5 to 10 seconds for "pure
boot time"

I'll try to boot my test image later and give better measurements then.

> How much memory does it take to login a single user?

I am not sure how to measure this. Besides, in my case initrd unpacks
into memory anyway so it alone eats tens of megs.

>  - I know this is only for your setup, but it might give us real numbers.
>
> BTW: is PAM mandatory?

No it is not. It is the login program that lets the user in. What
systemd-pam does is to notify the session manager of new session (so
it can watch it and clean up afterwards), and set up a cgroup for the
new session. If you do not include systemd-pam in the PAM stack (or do
not use PAM at all) systemd starts getty and you can login normal way.
Again, it is just something I need for my project.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry Golubovsky

Anywhere on the Web