[Buildroot] List of pending patches: what to do?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Thu Aug 1 06:13:03 UTC 2013

Dear Danomi Manchego,

On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 22:52:34 -0400, Danomi Manchego wrote:
> > http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/172171 avahi: only install
> > default.script/S05avahi-setup.sh if not present in fs skeleton
> >

> This issue has already been fixed a different way; patch can be discarded.

Yep, I've done as part as Gustavo review of the patches.

> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/179493 relative DL_DIR okay?
>
> This issue has already been fixed a different way; patch can be discarded.

Ok, thanks.

> > http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/198234 group file: define groups
> > expected by udev
>
> This patch is still good as-is.

Patch applied.

> > http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/249912 Makefile: change rsync used in
> > overlays to always transfer files
>
> The patch still applies, with no fuzz but some shifted lines.  The problem
> described still exists, and is still fixed by the patch.

It looks good, but I'd like to have someone ACK or test the patch.
Yann, Gustavo, Arnout?

> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/165382 [1/1] ccache: expose control
> > interface via 'make ccache-options'
>
> I've no strong objection, but I think that using a Makefile variable to
> access the ccache binary is cumbersome

Agreed.

>, as cumbersome as having to export
> a BUILDROOT_CACHE_DIR to get ccache to point to the right directory.
>  Mercifully, buildroot avoids forcing us to define environment variables
> for regular use - for everything except setting up ccache options, that is.
>  Because of this, I tend to patch ccache to change the last-ditch cache dir
> value from "format("%s/.ccache", home_directory)" to the value set in the
> .config, which has a much better chance of being correct than
> $HOME/.ccache, but can still be overridden by exporting
> BUILDROOT_CACHE_DIR.  Then output/host/usr/bin/ccache can be invoked
> directly to set max-size, stat-clearing, etc. without needing environment
> variables.

So the problem is that one cannot simply do

  $(O)/host/usr/bin/ccache --max-size=5G

because the BUILDROOT_CACHE_DIR is passed as an environment variable,
and defined by the Buildroot Makefile, so if you want to interact
manually with ccache, you'd have to manually pass BUILDROOT_CACHE_DIR.

This explains why the patch was proposing this CACHE_OPTIONS idea, I
guess. I don't have much other ideas here, though.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons