[Buildroot] [buildroot] libevas build failure analysis

Lionel Orry lionel.orry at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 10:24:58 UTC 2013

Dear Thomas,

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM, Thomas Petazzoni
> Dear Lionel Orry,
>
> On Tue, 3 Dec 2013 09:45:15 +0100, Lionel Orry wrote:
>
>> They just released the 1.8 version, I think it's time to think about
>> the bump, but there are some quite fundamental changes between 1.7 and
>> 1.8 (most noticeable one is the merged tree instead of separate source
>> code for core libraries), and the bump is probably not that easy at
>> first, and then, I also suppose there are some applications that may
>> still need 1.7 among buildroot users.
>
> Are you sure 1.8 breaks the compatibility with 1.7 ? I don't think so.
> It's not because in terms of source code everything is now inside a
> single tarball that the compatibility for applications has been broken.

That is true, I did not explain clearly the status. But I suppose I
can then convince you that a LOT of API changes occured by looking at
the NEWS file: https://git.enlightenment.org/core/efl.git/plain/NEWS?id=v1.8.1

Among other things, EFL 1.8 now has a mandatory dependency on bullet
library, which makes it much less suitable on light embedded systems ;
for example, I think bullet is not part of buildroot packages yet.

>> I would then suggest to have EFL 1.7 and EFL 1.8 in parallel for some
>> time. Maybe we should create efl18 package.
>
> Before doing that, I'd like to understand how/why EFL 1.8 is
> incompatible with EFL 1.7.

Your request is justified. See above about the API compatibility.

>> As for EFL 1.7, maybe the easiest to do is require a toolchain with
>> threads support.
>
> I agree.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Thomas
> --
> Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
> Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android engineering
> http://free-electrons.com

Best regards,
Lionel