[Buildroot] [RFC] Removing CLEAN_CMDS and UNINSTALL_(STAGING|TARGET)_CMDS

Luca Ceresoli luca at lucaceresoli.net
Tue Feb 12 13:25:18 UTC 2013

Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is an RFC patch set to discuss whether or not we should keep the
> <pkg>_CLEAN_CMDS, <pkg>_UNINSTALL_TARGET_CMDS and
> <pkg>_UNINSTALL_STAGING_CMDS. It is a topic that has been discussed at
> various times in the past months/years.
>
> A lot of packages don't implement them, we generally don't ask for
> them to be implemented when reviewing packages, and the uninstall
> commands are generally never updated when a package version is bumped,
> which means that they are probably bitrotting pretty quickly. We also
> have no automated way of testing these commands.
>
> That said, it is true that the <pkg>-clean target might be useful for
> some use cases. However, is <pkg>-uninstall really useful, considering
> that it doesn't take into account the removal of the reverse
> dependencies?
>
> Again, this patch set is not meant to be applied as is, it is here to
> get the discussion started. Sending the patches with it is simply a
> way to ensure that the discussion is considered seriously :-)

Never used this feature. For development it is not necessary to have a
perfectly stripped down rootfs. For releases, as well as after important
package bumps, i just do:
git clean -xdf ; make foo_defconfig ; make
With ccache the build time is reasonable.

Acked-by: Luca Ceresoli <luca at lucaceresoli.net>
Tested-by: Luca Ceresoli <luca at lucaceresoli.net>

Luca