[Buildroot] [autobuild.buildroot.net] Build results for 2013-02-11

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Fri Feb 15 04:57:42 UTC 2013

Dear Arnout Vandecappelle,

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 22:49:38 +0100, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:

>  The problem with this one is the following:
>
> /home/test/test/output1/host/usr/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu-ld -r -o src/library.o  src/library/getopt.o src/library/gettext.o
> /home/test/test/output1/host/usr/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu-ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `src/library/gettext.o' is incompatible with i386 output
>

>  This is because the Sourcery toolchain is a multilib toolchain that can
> generate two different emulations (elf_i386 and elf_x86_64). gcc adds the
> "-m elf_x86_64" option to ld, but of course there is no way for configure
> or whatever to discover that this is necessary.
>
>  There are probably other packages that suffer the same problem - in fact,
> any package that uses $(TARGET_LD) will most likely suffer from it.
>
>  I'm not sure how to solve this. We could set TARGET_LD to
> "$(TARGET_CROSS)ld -m elf_x86_64" for the specific case of x86_64 external
> toolchains (it probably doesn't hurt to add the default emulation
> explicitly). But there may be other external toolchains with the same
> problem - none of the current ones, at first sight, but who knows what the
> future brings.
>
>  So what do you think?

We discussed this during the Buildroot Developers meeting, don't you
remember ? :-)

From your report:

   Flags in external toolchain wrapper. The source of this discussion
   is the Cavium toolchain which requires an additional linker option
   to link correctly. Note that this is only about compile/link flags
   that are strictly needed for compiling for the right target, so
   typically things like -mfpu. The conclusion is that we want:
   [...]

Just like the Cavium toolchain required a special -m flag at link time,
the Sourcery toolchain also needs a -m flag at link time.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons