[Buildroot] Is GPLv2 the right license for Buildroot?

Peter Korsgaard jacmet at uclibc.org
Tue Sep 17 15:29:27 UTC 2013

 Grant> On 2013-09-17, Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> wrote:
 >> Yes, but I do believe that no company is actually complying to the
 >> GPL requirements by providing the build system source code.

 Grant> We do.  I wrote a shell-script that removes proprietary files/packages
 Grant> and bundles the resulting buildroot source tree which can then be used
 Grant> to build all of the open-source stuff.

 Grant> Nobody's ever _requested_ the sources, but they're available.

 Grant> I don't expect that anyone ever will request sources, since without
 Grant> the proprietary software, the hardware is pretty much useless.  I
 Grant> doubt any of our customers would be capable of building it even if
 Grant> they did have the source tree in hand.

Indeed. I've also archived U-Boot / Linux / Buildroot and ensured the
user manual contains the GPL source code offer for our products, but so
far nobody has ever requested it.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard