[Buildroot] add ghostscript to buildroot

William Frost tsmrnd0 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 07:11:54 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I have been working with buildroot for little more than one year. I think is
great tool. Some months ago I needed to cross-compile DCMTK library (it is not
included in buildroot) for DICOM image file management and PACS connectivity.
By following your online help I managed to add this package and successfully
cross-compile and use it (if needed I can provide the files just let me know
how).

Anyway, at this moment I need to cross-compile GhostScript (any version is
good enough for me). But this is really complicated, I'm getting errors every
where. I notice that openwrt has already included GhostScript
(https://code.google.com/p/wl500g-repo/source/browse/feeds/rtndev/ghostscript/Makefile?r=1336
) so at this moment I'm trying to port this package to buildroot. Buildroot
and “openwrt buildroot” are similar tools so I guess that with some
modifications it can be added to Buildroot. But my Buildroot knowledge it not
that good (I hope with more time and practice it gets better ;)).

I need GhostScript to convert ps files to the file that will be sent to the
printer (I don’t know this format name). I already have a ppd parser, so I
just need to convert the ps file to the other format to open “/dev/usb/lp0” and
write it inside.

Question:

Is there any interest in adding Ghostscript package to buildroot in the near
future?
Does anyone has some hints about porting packages from openwrt to buildroot
that I can use as guide?

Thank you very much for your attention.
William Frost