[Buildroot] Adding google-breakpad to buildroot

Pascal Hürst pascal.huerst at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 14:21:46 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

we are planing to add google-breakpad to buildroot.

From the project description at
http://code.google.com/p/google-breakpad/:

[...] "Breakpad is a library and tool suite that allows you to
distribute an application to users with compiler-provided debugging
information removed, record crashes in compact "minidump" files, send
them back to your server, and produce C and C++ stack traces from these
minidumps." [...]

Adding a package to buildroot is easy, but in this case we will have to
find a way to extract all symbols from the target binaries, before they
get stripped. My idea was to add a new target to the Makefile, just
before "target-finalize:" and check against an option in the config
like:

ifeq ($(BR2_ENABLE_BREAKPAD),y)
        TARGETS+=target-generate-breakpad-symbols
endif

and then:

target-generate-breakpad-symbols:
        extract symbols and deploy result to output/images

Is this basically the way to go, or is there a better way to achieve
this?

regards,
pascal