[Buildroot] uboot.pbl - make 'include' issue

Ryan Barnett rjbarnet at rockwellcollins.com
Wed Apr 30 21:20:14 UTC 2014

I have recently been working on trying to get support for the u-boot.pbl
image format into buildroot. I submitted an initial patch set back in
October and was given feedback to break out the boot/uboot/uboot.mk into
processor specific architectures. Thomas Petazzoni and I did some initial
work to split these out and he provide an example. I have been trying to
take this work that he did and submit an updated patch set. However, I
have hit a roadblock for which I can't seem to debug or figure out what is
going wrong.

When I breakout defines and variables in boot/uboot/uboot.mk into separate
files and add the following line:

include boot/uboot/*/*.mk

Once I add this to uboot.mk, the rules for uboot no longer work. Using any
configuration, I can no longer do anything like this:

make uboot
make uboot-dirclean

Running the above yields the following error:

make[1]: *** No rule to make target `uboot'.  Stop.
make: *** [_all] Error 2

It seems that the include statement is affecting the $(eval
$(generic-package)) call which generates the rules for uboot. However, I
am able to copy the contents of both of my architecture specific changes
verbatim into uboot.mk and they will work (when I remove or comment out
the include statement). This leads me to believe that I do not have a
syntax issue with the files. I have found that linux/linux.mk does the
same thing and it works which is why this is very confusing to me.

I have put my recent work on a github branch - the top 3 patches are
modification that I have done to head. If anybody has suggestions on how
to fix this issue, please let me know.

https://github.com/rjbarnet/buildroot/tree/uboot-pbl

My original patch submission can be found here:
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/bundle/rjbarnet/uboot-pbl/?state=*

Feedback from Thomas Petazzoni:
http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2013-December/084613.html

Thanks,