[Buildroot] About i386 Architecture and Grub2

lee choon gay choongay at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 11:37:12 UTC 2014

Hi.
I use buildroot-2014.05.tar.gz to build Linux version 3.14.4 for i386 architecture.
I am able to boot up the code using Grub2 on my PC.
That is the case if I use initrd /boot/rootfs.cpio.
My grub.cfg is as follow.

set default="0"
set timeout="0"

menuentry "any name" {
          Linux /boot/bzImage root=/dev/sda console=tty1
          initrd /boot/rootfs.cpio
          }

But the data is not persistent, anything that I save will be gone after reboot.
I am looking for method to make the data persistent (no ram file system).
I try to boot up the code without using rootfs.cpio as follow.
The code won't boot up.

set default="0"
set timeout="0"

menuentry "any name" {
          Linux /boot/bzImage root=/dev/sda2 noinitrd console=tty1
          }

For your info, I use pendrive for this.
And the bzImage and rootfs.cpio is located in partition 1 boot folder.
File system is located in partition 2.

Hope I can get some help here.
Thank you very much. :)