[Buildroot] root password and dhcp

Thomas De Schampheleire patrickdepinguin at gmail.com
Fri May 23 17:27:58 UTC 2014

Hi Cem,

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 4:10 PM, cem akpolat <akpolatcem at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have compiled a new file system via buildroot and modified the .cpio
> according to my requirements, then repack it and run with the linux kernel.
>
> My first question how can I access via ssh without root password? For
> instance in openwrt file system, it is possible to access firstly through
> telnet, if required, you can assign a password after the telnet connection.
> Does buildroot provide the same functionality?

You can either set the root password in the buildroot configuration
(but it will be stored in the config file in plaintext, so for a
non-personal project that may not be ok) or you can update the
/etc/shadow file from a post-build script, see the presentation
http://elinux.org/images/2/2a/Using-buildroot-real-project.pdf slide
25.

> Secondly, it seems that the dhcp doesn't work well, because even though the
> users connected to hostapd (I can see the messages), the assignment of the
> ip doesn't take place. What could be possible issue here? I am using dnsmaq
> and dhcp packages and all configurations are defined actually in
> dnsmasq.conf.
>
> Here is the configuration file content:
>
> dhcp-leasefile=/var/tmp/dnsmasq.leases
> dhcp-range=wlan0,192.168.126.10,192.168.126.250,1m
> resolv-file=/etc/resolv.dnsmasq.conf

I don't think I can help you here (no particular dhcp experience in
Buildroot) but I think it is useful for other developers if you could
paste some relevant parts of the log here.

Best regards,
Thomas