[Buildroot] RFC: CVE analysis

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Sep 23 07:43:00 UTC 2014

Dear Matthew Weber,

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 16:12:56 -0500, Matthew Weber wrote:

> >> I was curious if anyone has done a script similar to the "make
> >> legal-info" that takes a package list and checks it against a CVE
> >> database?  We're looking at doing some automated tracking of
> >> vulnerabilities with our nightly builds and were at a point of putting
> >> something together.

Seems really interesting.

> Would it be worth using this also to document if a package needs
> updating but hasn't been updated.  Then this could be queried as part
> of the build (make cve-info) to generate a summary instead of a
> Internet CVE database query.  It would require some automation work to
> generate a patch to the list to append to that file that a new CVE was
> issued against it though.....  guessing doing that manually isn't
> realistic.

It's probably worth mentioning
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/337267/: it's a Python script that
checks whether a package has new versions available. It's not written
with security/CVEs in mind, but you might find it interesting, and
maybe plug some more security/CVEs oriented checks in there.

That's a script we need to review/test and then commit, as I believe it
would be very useful to have. The aim is to use it as a replacement of
support/scripts/pkg-stats, whose output is updated every day at
http://autobuild.buildroot.org/stats/.

Best regards,

Thomas
--