[Buildroot] how to point at a local archive of S/W tarballs?

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Thu Apr 16 17:39:44 UTC 2015

Robert, All,

On 2015-04-16 13:33 -0400, Robert P. J. Day spake thusly:
> On Thu, 16 Apr 2015, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
[--SNIP--]
> > Using BR2_PRIMARY_SITE with scp to localhost is normally more easy than
> > setting up a web server, assuming an ssh server is already running.
> >
> > That said, adding support for file:// in BR2_PRIMARY_SITE is trivial to add. In
> > fact, I used to have such a patch in a much older buildroot version.
>
>   i think that would be useful as i'm in the situation of wanting to
> have a massive archive of S/W tarballs available for students in
> various embedded linux classes that they can take advantage of for
> their builds, but i (unsurprisingly) want that to be a read-only
> directory so they can't make a mess of it or arbitrarily add anything
> to it.

Well, how would those students reach that location? NFS?

Would it not make much more sense to share that location via HTTP and
use that as the primary, so you know they won;t be able to write
anything in there?

I think this is typically a case where the primary (over HTTP) is indeed
a good solution. And as I replied to Thomas, running a *simple* webserver
is pretty easy. Granted, there's no access control, no fancy stuff but
directory listing and file download (no fancy PUT, POST COL and stuff),
but that's basically just what you need in that case...

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.