[Buildroot] RFC: package level compile time hardening

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 05:01:49 UTC 2016

> On Aug 11, 2016, at 8:50 PM, Matthew Weber <matthew.weber at rockwellcollins.com> wrote:
>
> Any suggestions on an approach to manage changes made to buildroot
> packages to harden the build time cflags/ldflags of a specific
> package, where by adding the additional flags, the build now requires
> specific toolchain versions and may impact ability to have a package
> compile across as many arch as it currently does.  We currently
> maintain this sort of change as a rebased patch on top of master.
> Thoughts for other options?

the hardening could be maintained as a global top level kconfig
option. which should be then used at package level to make per
package decisions. It should be possible to select hardening in
general, in world case it will do nothing. In best case every package
will be compiled with PIC/PIE and other cool stuff.