[Buildroot] perl XS modules

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Tue Jul 12 08:09:21 UTC 2016

Hello,

On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 10:00:41 +0200, François Perrad wrote:

> The BR package libxml-parser-perl is a very specific host package which
> works only with the the system perl.
> (The reason is : this packge is heavy used, and we don't want the cost|time
> of the host-perl build)

The question from Arne was not about the host variant of
libxml-parser-perl, but about he target variant.

> All Perl modules (XS or Pure Perl) use the naming scheme :
> perl-module-name.
> For example, the wrapper for libxml2 is perl-xml-libxml.
> All these packages use the BR infrastructure perl-package.

Right, but Arne seems to indicate that when you build a *target* Perl
modules with cross-compiled C code (i.e not a pure Perl module), there
is an ABI compatibility issue, because the host perl and the target
perl don't use the same ABI.

Arne: can you give a specific Buildroot configuration and commands to
test that exhibit the problem?

Thanks!

Thomas
--