[Buildroot] Buildroot, github and nopullrequest.com

Angelo Compagnucci angelo.compagnucci at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 14:27:34 UTC 2016

Dear Thomas,

<thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com>:
> Hello,
>
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 15:58:35 +0200, Angelo Compagnucci wrote:
>
>> > I just created https://github.com/buildroot/buildroot.github.io for
>> > this purpose, and then realized that we use SSI includes. I think we
>> > should probably move away from SSI includes, to a more modern web-site
>> > generation mechanism, like Pelican (http://blog.getpelican.com/) or
>> > similar.
>>
>> I'm not too familiar with these systems. Usually they are not too
>> flexibles and they tend make difficult to write your own theme for the
>> website. Thay are also blog oriented and not too much website
>> oriented.
>
> Then you indeed don't know such systems very well, because they tend to
> be quite flexible. For example, the https://2016.capitoledulibre.org/
> (french) website is generated by Pelican.

To be honest, my actual income is from a web related job. Probably I'm
not a guru o web design, but I think i developed good tastes.
I had a look at pelican in the past, and not liked too much. Referring
to that website, IMHO it sucks badly! :)

>> > Well, there is one *big* issue: e-mail notifications. They are not
>> > available by default, and the only thing that people have been able to
>> > do so far is to have notifications with one e-mail per push (i.e one
>> > e-mail covering potentially multiple commits). This is definitely not
>> > acceptable, and is a show-stopper to moving to github.
>>
>> I didn't realized github is so limited ...
>
> That's a very strong issue with Github. Until this is resolved, no way
> we can switch to Github.

Right.

>> > I'm not sure I like giving access to https://nopullrequests.com to my
>> > Google account.
>>
>> You can jump that step, the important is to give the permission to
>> close the PRs (github permission). Obviously is not the most clean
>> solution, but the only viable one.
>
> Not sure what you mean, but:
>
>  * The https certificate of nopullrequests.com is invalid.
>
>  * If I say "No thanks" when it asks me to log in with my Google
>    account, it just redirects me to the Google homepage. Not very
>    useful.

I don't know to much about nopullrequests.com website, I tryied by
myself on GAE and liked quite a bit!

>> I had a look at infradead.org and to it seems way less solid than the
>> infrastructure we have now. On the homepage
>> (http://www.infradead.org/) the author seems to look for a job ...
>
> Well, if you search a bit, the guy in question is David Woodhouse
> (https://www.linkedin.com/in/dwmw2). He has worked at RedHat for 8
> years, and now is at Intel since 8 years. Not sure he is looking for a
> job.
>
> infradead.org is used for the ARM kernel mailing list, which receives
> much more traffic than the Buildroot one. The Git infrastructure of
> infradead is also widely used by kernel people. Grep "infradead.org" in
> the kernel MAINTAINERS file.

Good to know!

>> >  2/ Migration of the bug tracker history. How do we move Bugzilla
>> >     entries to the Github issue tracker? All references of bug tracker
>> >     entries in Buildroot commits would become wrong. Not nice.
>>
>> Right, good catch.
>>
>> Very intricate problem ...
>
> Indeed.
>
> So as you can see, moving to another infra is not that simple :-/

So, what's the with having a better current web infrastructure? I
actually maintain a big infrastructure on aws used by 1M+ users, I
think I can lend a hand!

Sincerely, Angelo

--
Profile: http://it.linkedin.com/in/compagnucciangelo