[Buildroot] [RFC 1/1] zynq-custom-fpga: new package

Romain Naour romain.naour at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 09:21:36 UTC 2017

Hi Matt,

Le 06/02/2017 à 22:50, Matt Fornero a écrit :
>> From: Romain Naour [mailto:romain.naour at gmail.com]
>> Le 24/01/2017 à 17:02, Matt Weber a écrit :
> <snip>
>>> +ifeq  ($(BR2_PACKAGE_ZYNQ_CUSTOM_FPGA_UBOOT_SPL),y)
>>> +UBOOT_DEPENDENCIES += zynq-custom-fpga
>>> +UBOOT_POST_EXTRACT_HOOKS += ZYNQ_CUSTOM_FPGA_COPY_INIT
>>
>> Modifying uboot dependencies and hooks in zynq-custom-fpga is not a good
>> practice actually.
>>
>> I would recommend to create a u-boot fork for zynq FPGA providing all
>> specific
>> uboot files instead of creating the zync-custom-fpga package.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Romain
>
> Hi Romain,
>
> Forking U-Boot to update the ps*_init_gpl.[c|h] files would be challenging.
> These files are dynamically generated by the FPGA build tool (Vivado) based on
> the user's configuration, so will vary both from board to board, and within a
> board from design to design.
>
> Is there a recommended technique, given the above?

Actually, it would be easier to propose something if you can share an example of
ps*_init_gpl.[c|h] files, because without it I can't really test your use case.

That said, the aim of zync-custom-fpga is to allow patching/modifying u-boot
sources for a very specific case (custom board), so why not using
BR2_TARGET_UBOOT_PATCH ?
Also, try (at first) to use BR2_TARGET_UBOOT_SPL with
BR2_TARGET_UBOOT_SPL_NAME=$(ZYNQ_CUSTOM_FPGA_PREFIX).bit to install fpga.bit in
output/image directory.
But we probably needs something more generic than BR2_TARGET_UBOOT_SPL.

Best regards,
Romain