[Buildroot] The chrootable self-compiling toolchain and Buildroot

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Tue Jan 17 22:46:12 UTC 2017

On 04-01-17 03:50, scsijon wrote:

> BarryK, creator of Puppy Linux has come across a few problems in building with
> buildroot!
>
> Primarily:
>
> [quote]I have been using Buildroot recently, to compile applications statically
> with uclibc-ng. Buildroot is great, but it has one major shortcoming -- it
> cannot create a chrootable self-compiling toolchain.[/quote]
>
> The full message letting you know what's up is at
> http://barryk.org/news/?viewDetailed=00479
>
> Could someone have a look at it please and if possible give some help as it also
> interests me and i'm sure quite a few other small linux builders who would like
> to update the full system, but can't because of what seems to be the loss of
> the  chrootable self-compiling toolchain function.
>
> It would actually be nice to be able to build in top of buildroot.

 This is a FAQ (well, actually, the reason we don't support it is because it
isn't asked very often...) [1].

[quote]
It has been decided that support for the native compiler on the target would be
stopped from the Buildroot-2012.11 release because:

* this feature was neither maintained nor tested, and often broken;
* this feature was only available for Buildroot toolchains;
* Buildroot mostly targets small or very small target hardware with limited
resource onboard (CPU, ram, mass-storage), for which compiling on the target
does not make much sense;
* Buildroot aims at easing the cross-compilation, making native compilation on
the target unnecessary.

If you need a compiler on your target anyway, then Buildroot is not suitable for
your purpose. In such case, you need a real distribution and you should opt for
something like:

* openembedded
* yocto
* emdebian