[Buildroot] Analysis of build results for 2017-10-30

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Fri Nov 3 13:52:57 UTC 2017

Hello,

On Fri, 3 Nov 2017 14:46:15 +0100, Angelo Compagnucci wrote:

> > Unhandled Exception:
> > System.ExecutionEngineException: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array. ---> System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
> >    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
> > [...]
>
> This is really strange. This error means that the code inside a mono
> vm running program is failing, so mono is running correctly!
>

> > So it seems like host-mono doesn't build on a ppc64le machine. Looking
> > at the host-monolite tarball, I see it's a bunch of .dll built for x86.
> > Is this supposed to work on other architectures as well?
>
> Yes it is. host-mono it's used to bootstrap the mono compilation for
> the target so it must run on the host architecture.

I don't follow you here.

gcc112 is a ppc64le machine, and I'm cross-compiling for ARM.

Is it possible for those x86 .dll provided by monolite to be used on a
ppc64le machine ?

> IMHO seems like something related to memory, mono changed so much in
> the latests releases and it uses much more memory during the
> compilation. I cannot reproduce the bug on my setup with 16GB of RAM
> and the config that fails on the autobuilder.

The ppc64le machine that causes the failure has 256GB of RAM.

> Could you give me the config you are using?

It's just:

BR2_arm=y
BR2_PACKAGE_MONO=y

But you won't be able to reproduce the problem on your PC, because your
PC is x86-64, and the build failure seems to be specific to building on
ppc64le.

Do you have an account on the gcc compile farm ?

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons