[Buildroot] Buildroot does not try to find/use the system-installed meson

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Wed May 1 12:40:26 UTC 2019

On 30/04/2019 12:23, Norbert Lange wrote:
> Hello,
>
> even though I have very recent meson installed, buildroot will go to
> great lengths to build everything from source (including host-python3,
> host-ninja and host-python which is a dependency of host-ninja for
> some reason).

 Cfr. [1].

> Is there a good reason for this, or is this just a lacking feature for now?

 The same question was asked [2] for the autotools packages (m4, autoconf,
automake), and the same answer applies:

>  The problem is rather that we don't *know* if there is some version dependency...
>
>  That said, I think we can just go ahead and try it, and rely on the
> autobuilders to tell us if something doesn't work, and update the minimum
> version of that tool accordingly.
>
>  Since we the oldest autobuilder we have is a CentOS6, I would use the versions
> from that as the minimum as a start.

 meson would definitely be much simpler to support than autotools, since you
just have to check the meson and the ninja executables. And I think it's much
more likely that an older meson still works.

 Regards,
 Arnout

[1] http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1047119/
[2] http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2019-April/248409.html