[Buildroot] Buildroot Logo Pictograph

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Sun Sep 22 14:40:12 UTC 2019

On 22/09/2019 07:53, Jonathan Ben Avraham wrote:
[snip]
> This is a clearcut trademark conflict with MontaVista Hard Hat Linux,
> https://www.computerhistory.org/revolution/personal-computers/17/307/1222. Also
> google "hardhat linux logo", and asking for trouble, as is the yellow hardhat
> currently displayed on the Buildroot site.

 First of all, if there is a trademark issue, this new logo doesn't change that
because we've already been using the hardhat logo for 10 years or so.

 Second, does MontaVista really have a trademark here? I used the USPTO search
engine to find "hard hat linux" and turned up nothing. I didn't search for the
logo itself because that's more difficult to do, but it would be surprising if
they held a trademark on the logo but not the name.

> Whatever logo we choose, before investing in graphics we need to do a careful
> trademark search. I suggest that you ask Thomas about the possible adverse
> results of trademark conflicts. You really need to be careful.

 I disagree. If we have to change our logo, so be it. And it's hard for anyone
to sue for damages because there's nobody to sue or no money to be gained from it.

> It is clear that we also need trademark protection for whatever logo is chosen.

 I disagree with this as well. If someone else wants to use the same logo, I
don't think we have a problem with that.

> This is not cheap.

 That I agree with :-)

 Regards,
 Arnout