[Buildroot] Header is nine years old

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Mon Jan 6 20:33:17 UTC 2020

Hello Frederick,

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 16:21:59 -0000 (UTC)
Frederick Gotham <cauldwell.thomas at gmail.com> wrote:

> The following header file:
>
>     #include <linux/list.h>
>
> was added to the Github for the Linux kernel in May 2011. That was 9 years
> ago.

This is an internal kernel header.

> So on my Buildroot setup, I navigate to this directory:
>
>     build/output/host/x86_64-buildroot-linux-gnu/sysroot/usr/include/linux

This only contains the kernel headers exposed to userspace, i.e the
UAPI (user-space API). There is absolutely no reason for list.h to be
in there.

> And I check to see if "list.h" is in there. It's not there, and this is why I
> am unable to build the latest version of Barebox.
>
> Anyone got any idea why that header file isn't in there?

You need to give more details about the Barebox failure you're seeing:
which version you're trying to build, what is the build error. But the
error is clearly not due to <linux/list.h> being missing from the
compiler sysroot.

Best regards,

Thomas
--