[Buildroot] Multiple ("simultaneous") buildroot projects

Enoch W. ixew at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 14 18:48:01 UTC 2020

Very helpful answer, Thanks, Enoch.

On 1/13/20 5:27 PM, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:

On 09/01/2020 20:08, Enoch W. wrote:

Good day to all,

I have now a second buildroot project in active development relying on a different Linux version.

Is there a recommended way to manage the two with maximal code sharing?

 Normally if the two project should be able to use the same buildroot tree -
even if you add custom packages directly in the buildroot tree (rather than
through BR2_EXTERNAL), they can share code.

 They would be different only because they use a different defconfig.

 You can have the build results side-by-side by setting an output directory
explicitly with O= instead of using the default output/

 The two project configurations may share some of the common files (e.g. kernel
configuration fragments, overlay files, post-build and post-image scripts). For
example, I would typically have an organisation like this:

-+-- buildroot (= checked-out buildroot sources, typically as a git submodule)
 +-+ output
 | +-- project1 (= O=$PWD/output/project1 output directory used for project1)
 | +-- project2 (= O=$PWD/output/project2 output directory used for project2)
 +-- project1 (overlay, kernel config, ... specific for project1)
 +-- project2 (overlay, kernel config, ... specific for project2)
 +-- common (overlay, kernel config, ... common to the projects)
 +-+ configs
 | +-- project1_defconfig (= Buildroot defconfig for project1)
 | +-- project2_defconfig (= Buildroot defconfig for project2)
 +-- Makefile (top-level makefile that sets O= and calls into buildroot make)

 Regards,
 Arnout

Or is it best to put the two in separate docker containers? :-)

I've seen this question coming up before, but not receiving an "official answer".

Thanks, Enoch.