[Buildroot] Spidermonkey bump version

Giulio Benetti giulio.benetti at benettiengineering.com
Fri May 21 22:31:11 UTC 2021

Hi Yann, All,

On 5/20/21 12:33 PM, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> Giulio, All,
>
> On 2021-05-20 02:21 +0200, Giulio Benetti spake thusly:
>> since I'm working on udisks bump version I've noticed its dependency
>> spidermonkey that is pretty old. I've seen that download site points to a
>> gentoo archive to save 200M of download without downloading entire Firefox.
>> Would it make sense to change site back to [1] and bump it once 89.0 is
>> released?
>
> Here are my thoughts on that (mozjs == spidermonkey):
>
>    - of course, it is a bigger archive, but that's not necessarily an
>      issue in the grand scheme of things;

I agree

>    - the version we currently have does not require rust, but newer
>      versions do; if we update, it means less architectures we can run
>      spidermonkey, and thus polkit and its dependees, on;
>
>    - OE is still using mozjs 60.9.0:
>          https://git.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded/tree/meta-oe/dynamic-layers/meta-python/recipes-extended/mozjs/mozjs_60.9.0.bb
>
>    - polkit 0.116 (which we currently have) is the last to accept
>      mozjs-60; later versions of polkit require more recent versions of
>      mozjs: polkit0.117 requires mozjs-68, and 0.118, mozjs-78:
>          https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/polkit/polkit/-/blob/0.116/configure.ac#L82
>          https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/polkit/polkit/-/blob/0.117/configure.ac#L83
>          https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/polkit/polkit/-/blob/0.118/configure.ac#L83
>
>> The only packages that use it is polkit that in order is used by:
>> - udisks
>> and optionally by:
>> - gvfs
>> - brltty
>> - systemd
>
> So, I'm all meh... Maybe we'll have to bite the bullet and bump mozjs if
> we want to bump polkit (probably a good idea to avoid security issues?
> Although there is no known CVE for polkit 0.116:
> https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/search/results?form_type=Advanced&results_type=overview&seach_type=all&query=cpe:2.3:a:polkit_project:polkit:0.116:*:*:*:*:*:*:*
> which does not mean there is no unknown issue either...)

I'm giving a try and I've seen that until mozjs-78 configure file is
already present while on latest version firefox-89.0 there is not and
the whole build system changed.

Since we need spidermonkey 78 for polkit 0.118 I would go for bumping
spidermonkey to 0.78 if it's not too difficult.
What do you think?

Best regards
--
Giulio Benetti