[Buildroot] [Feature Request] Host cmake built with the --system-curl option

James Hilliard james.hilliard1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 01:50:45 UTC 2022

On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 6:36 PM Emile Cormier <emile.cormier.jr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 8:11 PM James Hilliard <james.hilliard1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You might still be able to share it for desktop builds for development
>> by creating
>> packages and then overriding them using the OVERRIDE_SRCDIR feature:
>> https://buildroot.org/downloads/manual/manual.html#_using_buildroot_during_development
>

> We use Qt Creator as an IDE, and it integrates very well with CMake-based projects, especially for debugging. I'm afraid that introducing buildroot into the mix would wreck our productivity for development.
>
> The way I have it set up now with buildroot being exclusively used to produce "release" images for our embedded device is working well. Before buildroot, release images were assembled manually using a Debian ARM image provided by the board vendor, and then tailored to suit our needs. It goes without saying this was very tedious and error-prone. Using buildroot to generate device images is way easier and more consistent, plus we can tailor the operating system exactly as we need it.

Using OVERRIDE_SRCDIR would just allow you to easily generate release images
from your cmake projects working tree using buildroot infrastructure
which shouldn't
conflict with Qt Creator if that's only being used for developing the
cmake project.

The idea is that you use your existing debugging setup pretty much as is but
redirect the buildroot package infrastructure to source your cmake package from
your local development folder when you want to build a test release image.

This way your release process would properly use buildroot package
infrastructure
for dependency handling while still allowing debugging to be done
separately most
of the time using existing workflows.