[Buildroot] Xilinx zynqmp_zcu10x_defconfigs: two things left

Neal Frager nealf at xilinx.com
Mon Feb 7 18:40:41 UTC 2022

Hi Giulio,

> Aah ok.
> Usually /extlinux/extlinux.conf is found in ext4 /boot/ but it's ok even in vfat.

Unfortunately, it was a bit of a chicken and the egg issue.  U-Boot could not find the rootfs.ext4 without the extlinux.conf.  So if the extlinux.conf was in the ext4 file system, U-Boot could never find it.  This is why it needs to be in the vfat partition for booting, and specifically in the /extlinux directory in the case of zynqmp.

> image boot.vfat {
>       vfat {
>               files = {
>                       "boot.bin",
>                       "u-boot.itb",
>                       "system.dtb",
>                       "Image"
>               }
>               file extlinux/extlinux.conf {
>                       image = extlinux.conf
>               }
>       }
>
>       size = 32M
> }
>
> image sdcard.img {
>       hdimage {
>       }
>
>       partition boot {
>               partition-type = 0xC
>               bootable = "true"
>               image = "boot.vfat"
>       }
>
>       partition rootfs {
>               partition-type = 0x83
>               image = "rootfs.ext4"
>       }
> }

The good news is I just completed a build of a version that builds and runs without needing any manual post-build steps.  All that is required is 'make zynqmp_zcu10x_defconfig' followed by 'make'.  The way it should be.  I will be submitting a new patch set tomorrow.  It will include the following software versions.

ATF v2.6 from https://github.com/Xilinx/arm-trusted-firmware
U-Boot 2022.01 from https://github.com/Xilinx/u-boot-xlnx
Linux 5.15 from https://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx

Using these versions allow me to make use of the updated U-Boot tools/zynqmp_pm_cfg_obj_convert.py without needing to be dependent on any build patches.

Thank you both, Giulio and Luca, for your fantastic support!

Best regards,
Neal Frager
Xilinx