[Buildroot] DMARC on this mailing list

Danilo Bargen mail at dbrgn.ch
Mon Jan 17 12:57:07 UTC 2022

Hello Yann

>> - Rewrite the "From:" header so that the e-mail appears to be coming
>>    from the ML itself. Put the original sender e-mail in the "Reply-To"
>>    header instead. If this is not being done, the sender IP (the mailing
>>    list) does not match the sender e-mail domain and SPF fails. Note
>>    that this *might* impact the buildroot ML reputation for some big
>>    mailservers.
>
> This is exactly what is going on. You can check for example on the
> archives:
>      https://lore.kernel.org/buildroot/20220115101415.986123F41E@exit1-us.msgsafe.io/

Strange, when I view your e-mail (coming from the ML, containing the
"buildroot mailing list" footer) raw data, I still see your address in
the "From"-Header, and not buildroot at buildroot.org:

   From: "Yann E. MORIN" <yann.morin.1998 at free.fr>

The *sender* is set to Buildroot:

   Sender: "buildroot" <buildroot-bounces at buildroot.org>

...but DMARC evaluates the From-Header and not the Sender-Header, as far
as I know.

Some mailservers that sent me DMARC failure reports after sending
e-mails to the buildroot mailing list were:

- silica.com
- uni-bonn.de
- yahoo.com
- aol.com mail.ru

With a reject policy, my e-mail would have been dropped by those servers.

Danilo