[Buildroot] candidate packages : ros2 and wxwidgets

Stefan Nickl stefan.nickl at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 18:50:40 UTC 2023

On Wed, 2022-06-29 at 15:29 +0100, Mike Davies wrote:
> I have spent many hours (over 100 so far) trying to get ROS2 built as
> part of buildroot. I have been using the recommended ROS source build
> route of using rosdep/colcon etc., to build ROS2 Galactic and more
> recently Humble
>
> Starting with buildroot-2022.02 I have had to add 41 new packages, and
> alter an existing 6 packages - either adding host builds or changing
> configuration options.
>
> So far I have managed to build 157 of the 340 odd components. I can get
> code onto the target, but it doesn't do a lot because so many
> components are missing.
>
> Alas, I have got to the stage where I think it is no longer possible to
> progress, or at least, it is going to take vastly more time than I am
> willing to take.

Hey Mike,
I just found this old thread and wondered if you could share the work
you've done so far.
I'm interested in using ROS2 in an embedded system with buildroot and
cross-compilation to aarch64. I don't need a full ros distribution,
just enable some basic C/C++ programs on the target to talk with other
ros nodes on the network via topics, services and actions.
Maybe having just a very stripped-down version of ROS2 in buildroot
would be useful for others as well.

Thanks,
Stefan